Sunday, November 29, 2015

It's the 10 week countdown!!!

Ahhhh... This past Wednesday I made it the 27 week mark which means, I only have 10 more treatments!! Cue the Europe music... "It's the 10 week countdooooowwwn! Da da da da.... da da da da da.... da da da... da da da da da da daaaaa!"  It actually has my emotions pretty mixed up. On one hand, I am extremely excited to stop the treatments, stop getting IVs every week, stop having nurses and pharmacists constantly hound me about my weight and get my weekends back... But on the other hand, it means I'm only pregnant for 10 more weeks and as hard as it's been, I truly enjoy being pregnant.  I love feeling her kick inside of me and having Isabelle and Aaron feel her too.  So I guess it's a little bittersweet.


Since my last post, I have continued to have IVIG treatments every Sunday.  They have gotten more irritating to me and I did reach a point a few weeks ago where I really wanted to quit.  I knew I couldn't quit, but I was so over them.  I cried every Saturday night thinking about having to wake up early to have them and was having a pretty hard time.  I snapped out of it, and told myself it isn't that bad and above all else, it's working! At our last few doctor appointments, Baby girl has been healthy and it's because of these treatments.  So while I still don't like having to get the treatments, I have renewed faith in them and feel better about getting up on Sunday to do it.  More recently, I have become discouraged and nervous because my veins seem to be giving up on me.  The main vein that was being used in my right hand has collapsed and my hand was very sore for a few weeks.  It has just recently stopped being tender to the touch but the vein is still unusable.  The main vein in my left hand has been bruised and battered as well and is becoming hostile.  It literally rolls away when the nurse tried to get the IV in... like "umm hell no, not again!". I have also tried a vein farther down my arm but it also rolled away, and then bruised up and was very sore for about a week afterwards too.  I'm hoping we can continue to find good veins to use and the soreness and bruising eases up. I only need you 10 more times veins, just 10 more times!!

We have also  continued to have brain scans on the middle cerebral artery for baby girl--and so far, so good!!  Some days she is more cooperative than others so the scans can take anywhere from 15-20 minutes to 45-60 minutes.  They have to get an accurate pulse rate 3-4 times--which means baby girl can't move while she is doing it.  Then they put the readings they capture into a calculator that tells them whether or not the middle cerebral artery is doing what it should.  It's a little scary when it's taking a long time to get the readings and even scarier when they put the numbers into the calculator.  It's only a few minutes but it feels like it takes forever for them to say that she's doing well and the artery is  pumping within the correct range.  I finally got up the nerve to ask what would happen if they readings were not within the healthy range and the answer I received was frightening.  Dr. Althaus said I would have to get the Fetal Blood Sampling of her liver done earlier and more than once... so I hope and pray that it never happens and her middle cerebral artery continues to function as it should.  One nice thing that happens during these sonograms is that they sonographer always tries to let us see baby girl's face.  She is not always cooperative but it is extremely reassuring and amazing to see her.  It makes all the fear and worry disappear, even if it's just for a few minutes while we stare at her tiny miraculous face.



Speaking of the FBS (fetal blood sampling), I dared to ask more about that procedure as well.  I will have to go into an operating room, get an epidural and then there is a waiting game while they wait for the baby to be in an optimal position.  Once the needle is in baby girl's liver, they pull the blood sample and rush it for analysis.  It takes about 5 minutes to get the platelet reading back and during that time the needle has to stay in the baby's liver--just in case. If the platelets are in the healthy range they will take the needle out, if not the needle will be used to infuse the negative platelets.  I will be monitored afterwards and if they do have to infuse platelets, it is likely I will need to have the procedure again or I will need to have a C-section instead of a vaginal birth.  I was told it could take up to 2 hours for the whole procedure to be finished and the doctor who would be performing the procedure is the person who has done it the most with the most success.  There are usually 2 surgeons, 2 fellows, 2-4 residents and 2-4 nurses in the operating room during the procedure.  My doctor said that it is sometimes overwhelming but they are all there to learn and want to be helpful.  I know that's true but I am an extremely anxious person and I don't want anyone asking questions about what's going on because I don't want to know.  There will be a curtain up so I can't see my belly and Aaron is allowed to be on my side of the curtain with me.  I know if people are asking, why did you do this instead of that or asking about risks and other things, it is going to freak me out.  I don't need that.  I do want others to learn so I just want them to observe and ask questions later, lol... Maybe that's unreasonable and selfish but I just don't know that I am strong enough to hear about all the things that are going on over on the other side of the curtain.  We were also told that we would have to have the procedure earlier than we expected, at 34 weeks instead of 36 weeks. They are just trying to make sure they know as much as they can about baby girl's platelets just in case I deliver earlier than my induction date.  I won't lie, when she said that it would be 2 weeks earlier than we originally planned, I freaked out a little bit.  I am still unsure if I want to do the procedure, and to have someone tell you that it's because they think you could possibly deliver before 37 weeks, really rattled me.  So at our next appointment on Dec 3rd, I will be asking 5 million questions and if we feel comfortable with it, we will schedule the FBS. Ahhhhh!!!!!


In other news, I'm starting to have a harder time getting up off the floor, or standing all day at work without having some pain.  She is measuring 2 weeks ahead and my belly is DEFINITELY bigger this time than last time.  I'm very emotional...I literally cried because I wanted CinnaStix from Dominos the other day-- what can I say, it was the hormones, lol!  And of course I am always tired... blame it on the treatments, working full time and having a toddler at home!  I passed my Glucose test, thank goodness-- but still need to have more blood work done to make sure my low blood pressure isn't due to anemia.  Isabelle is obsessed with pulling my shirt up and patting my belly saying "Baby sitter (baby sister)". Baby girl is constantly moving, rolling and kicking.  Aaron loves to feel her move and it's such a wonderful experience for us.  It's hard not to compare baby girl to my pregnancy with Isabelle.  Isabelle didn't move nearly as much and  I wonder if it's because her platelets were so low and she was essentially nearing death inside of me.  Such a horrible thing to think, I know... but I can't help it.  My doctor said it's a ridiculous thing to think and that all pregnancies are different, but the thought often crosses my mind, along with guilt.  The important thing is that Isabelle is healthy and happy and so is baby girl, and I am extremely thankful for that. 


Aaron, Isabelle and I are so happy and excited for baby sister and I have gone into full nesting mode.  Poor Aaron has to deal with me constantly rearranging, organizing and purging things.  I am always tired and should probably sleep instead, but these things need to be done!! We are looking forward to Izzie's 2nd Birthday, Christmas and the New Year and then it's baby girl Wright time!! Crazy, it feels like time just started moving very quickly.  I am  so grateful to our friends and family for being there for us, whether it's to watch Isabelle during my doctor appointments or just letting me vent, cry or be unreasonable about the situation we've been put in.  I have to give the most props to my wonderful husband, without him--I'm not sure I could do this and I am so blessed to have him as my number one supporter, my rock, my best friend. Thank you for reading and keeping up with us. We really appreciate all of your support, kind words and encouragement.  It really means so much to us. 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment